Sunday, August 26, 2007

Microsoft Word

I don't know what the general consensus is on Microsoft Word. I've been using the program for a long time now, since my first PC and have to say that it isn't entirely a piece of shit, but falls into the Microsoft trend.

The reason Microsoft Word is so attractive is it's numerous formatting options, templating and other useful bits a pieces. The only problem, is that Microsoft Word loves these formatting options so much, that it just throws bits in for you. 'Hey, here's a line break' 'Hey, lets just shift this line up a couple spaces' 'Lets put this here and move all this shit around'. It's basically like having a monkey on your shoulder, pressing random buttons and then slapping your hand when you try to undo.

I came to write this as a trigger off my growing frustration with this problem. In the midst of a 750 word essay, for no reason whatsoever, it decides to tab my text up a pace so it basically looks like this. When I tried to delete it, it just chucks it back in.

As a seasoned Microsoft user I suspected it was probably something to do with the alignment of the ruler, and attempted to find the ruler and thus solve the problem. The only problem here is the fact that all of these smaller options are lost in the abyss of brightly coloured icons and submenus. Okay, Microsoft Word 2007 looks flashy with all its icons, but where the fuck do you find something specific?

Right... Help & Support, one little type into the search and it'll give me a link - if only I could find the damn thing. I feel sorry for all the people who don't know the wonders of function keys and are going to end up spending 20 minutes looking for the tiny blue question mark in the top-right corner, which simply looks like it's part of the GUI.

For features I give Microsoft Office a 9/10, but for user friendliness I you get a 0/10. If only I could find a program similar enough to OneNote, I would never use your Office Suite again and for people who don't need to furiously organise their hundreds of notes, I suggest the more user-friendly OpenOffice, which unlike Microsoft Office doesn't pack a 400$ (avg.) pricetag - in fact it's free.

Plus, you won't feel like Bill Gates is shitting all over your work.

No comments: